I received Master and Doctoral Degrees in Marriage and Family Therapy from Brigham Young University and Texas Tech University respectively. I began clinical work with individuals, couples, and families in 2000, and have since practiced in various settings including youth and adult outpatient, youth corrections, various out-of-home adolescent care settings, and private practice.
I’m also an Arbinger Certified Facilitator, able to provide individual and group training in Arbinger’s Core at Work and Core in Families & Relationships. I have developed a strong interest in four areas of emphasis :
(1) core principles of healing, growth, and success in our efforts to change
(2) developing character strengths and virtues central to any “good” we create in ourselves and with others
(3) the challenges and opportunities of “relationship” in our daily living
(4) the reality that clients are the gatekeepers of change and true heroes in their own success stories.
From personal and professional experience in these areas over time, I have learned that addressing our problems ultimately involves drawing on our strengths and the best that lies within us and our relationships. My work with others is anchored in this idea.
Based on the above, I have successfully assisted others in improving problem areas such as:
- Parent-Child Relational Problems
- Marital Conflict or Discord
- Adolescent “At Risk” Behaviors (i.e. substance use, sexual acting out, oppositional behaviors, self-harm, etc.)
- Anxiety/OCD-type Behaviors
- Trauma/Attachment Issues
Because the needs of those I work with vary, I provide five general levels of mental health services. Understanding differences between each level can help you in considering the best fit between your needs and my services. A good fit between “need” and “service,” increases the likelihood of positive outcomes and your success and satisfaction!
Originally from Arizona, I am the oldest of four siblings, and am married to Becky. I am also the proud Daddy of Haylea, James, Sterling, and Ellie! Personal interests and hobbies include: fly tying and fishing, camping, various sports, cycling (both road and mountain), reading, play-time with my kiddos, and spending quality time with family and friends.